Layer 1 Downloading

The Kilwas
In search of new ideas

In 2012 Clarissa and I traveled to Southern Tanzania, intent of finding some new ideas for paintings. Having grown up at Mombasa on Kenya's coast in the 1960s I have a very strong association with all things Swahili Coast. Both my mother and father also had the same fondness for Arab architecture, the old world atmosphere, and the romantic locations and culture of this coastline. Then it's no surprise that so do I. The Kilwas are well known for some famous ruins there. However time and experience has taught me that you find gems when you search beyond the obvious. This trip was a perfect example of that!

1/ : On the flight down there we passed over the Rufiji Delta.
An aerial view of a tropical river emptying into a blue ocean with lots of sandy beaches and sandbars. Image Paul Augustinus.
2/ : We stopped at Mafia Island on the way to Kilwa.
A Paul Augustinus image of the tiny rustic aerodrome buildings of the airport with a backdrop of palm trees.
3/ : The idyllic Indian Ocean near Kilwa Kivinji.
An aerial image of a blue ocean and fluffy clouds. Paul Augustinus
4/ : Dhows headed for Kilwa Kissani
An aerial image of the Indian Ocean near the coast and three tiny traditional dhows can be seen. Image Paul Augustinus.
5/ : The ruins at Kilwa.
An image of Clarissa Augustinus inside the ancient ruined mosque at Kilwa. A vast complex of arches and pillars in the Arabic style.
6/ : Kilwa Fort. We tried 6 mornings in a row before we caught it with the sun out.
An image of a tropical coastline with a traditional dow on the horizon and an ancient ruined arab fort with the early morning sunshine illuminating it perfectly.
7/ : Our guide referred to this as the Jewish Graveyard.
An image of Clarissa Augustinus walking through the overgrown graveyard at Kilwa.
8/ : Most of the graves dated from the German Colonial era.
An image of Paul Augustinus examining an old German war grave in an overgrown fiels.
9/ : None of the graves were being looked after.
An image of an overgrown graveyard in Southern Tanzania. Paul Augustinus image.
10/ : India Street. A shadow of its former glorious past.
An image of a run down street with buildings that are charachteristic of the German Colonial period of Tanzania's history.
11/ : Zanzibar doors can still be found along this street.
An image of  a run down building in a bad state of disrepair, that has a beautifully carved Zanzibar Door.
12/ : There are several buildings that still have these iconic doors in place.
An image of a Zanzibar door on an India Street building in Kilwa.
13/ : India Street: 2012.
An image of a street in a very rundown street with old colonial buildings. Paul Augustinus.
14/ : German WWI monument to soldiers killed in an uprising. Four cannons are embedded vertically around it.
An image of  a monument set in a rustic market location that has taken over its location completely. Image Paul Augustinus
15/ : One of the cannons.
An image of an old muzzle loading cannon that has been buried half way, vertically in a symbolic statement. Image Paul Augustinus.
16/ : The old German Boma at Kilwa.
An image of a run down two-storey building set in a rustic coastal village location.
17/ : The view from the Boma.
An image of Clarissa Augustinus looking out from one of the upper floor arched windows at the port and the dhows moored there.
18/ : The present day fishing harbor near the Boma.
An image of a very busy, crowded fishing port set in a tropical location.
19/ : The return flight to Dar es Salaam showed me this!
An aerial image of modern day Dar es Salaam with Tancot House marke on it. Image Paul Augustinus
20/ : My painting of Kilwa Fort: 2015.
An image of a Paul Augustinus painting of a ruined Arabic fort on the tropical, palm fringed edge of a lagoon in Southern Tanzania.

A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image