Layer 1 Downloading

The Show: 9
RESTLESS

When my father departed Dar es Salaam my mother was left to clear out the TanCot House apartment. On our final day Jack Dickenson came to see us off. Then we walked out of the only home I had ever known, drove to Nairobi where the MG was sold. We then boarded a BOAC De Havilland Comet (the world's first operational jetliner) bound for London. Then a train and ferry journey took us to Cork in Ireland where I met my Irish relatives for the first time (including my mother's sister - Aunt Francis.) I discovered how different Europe was from the world I had known. I was cold all the time but I didn't care because it seemed to me that traveling the world was a great adventure. In 1959 we departed from Southampton on the Bloemfontein Castle for Harare, Zimbabwe where we lived for a year. On the ships manifest I was referred to as Master Paul and that made me feel like someone important - I liked that. In Harare I attended David Livingstone Junior School where a teacher wrote on my first report card that I was an undisciplined loner who needed to learn how to be a team player. My team-playing classmates were mostly the sons of farmers and traders who adamantly believed that theirs was the 'greatest country' in the world. I disagreed with them having actually seen some of the world myself. But I was aware that my new surroundings were much more modern looking that anything I had seen in Ireland, Europe or Dar es Salaam. Harare had tall skyscrapers and I was impressed by the space-age electricity pylons that were being built everywhere in the country to distribute power from the brand new Kariba Dam.
But my mother was restless, and we travelled backwards and forwards between Africa, the Middle East and Europe. This grand tour took me by iconic trains, planes and ocean liners to Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique, Aden, Somalia, Sudan, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, UK, and Zimbabwe. I became very familiar with the interiors of several famous passenger ships. I could confidently name all the aircraft types I saw parked on any airport apron. My favorite airplane was the Lockheed Connie Constellation with its three distinctive fins. This was when I spent very little time in school, became a seasoned citizen of the world and learned to love the feeling of being in a foreign land.
The Show: 10 ►

1/20: Back in Ireland 1957.
An image of Paul Augustinus and his mother in Ireland after they had returned from Dar es Salaam in 1957
2/20: We traveled to Africa on the Bloemfontein Castle in 1958
An image of a Union Castle Liner brochure from the 1950s
3/20: We also traveled to Europe on the Bremar Castle in 1959.
The Bremar Castle ocean liner
4/20: We were in the cheapest of the cabins.
The deck plan of the Bremar Castle Ocean liner
5/20: Arriving Mombasa on the Bremar Castle 1961.
Rosemary and Paul Augustinus posed next to the railing of the Bremar Castle liner
6/20: My mother and Aunt Frances aboard the Loyd Triestino Africa, Mombasa bound.
An image of Rosemary Augustinus and Frances De Andrade sitting in deck chairs on the Europa
7/20: Me and my aunt next to the Europa pool sculpture.
An image of Paul Augustinus and Frances de Andrade  at the Europa pool.
8/20: The cabins remained me of being on a spaceship.
A two berth cabin on the lowest deck of the Bremar Castle.
9/20: Taking on the pilot at Mombasa prior to docking.
An image of the pilot being taken on prior to the Bremar Castle docking in Mombasa.
10/20: To the Victoria Falls on a Vickers Viscount, 1959.
An image of the Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, taken by Paul Augustinus from a Vickers Vicount aircraft in 1959
11/20: Lake Mcilwaine, Zimbabwe, 1960.
An image of Rosemary and Paul Augustinus at Lake Mcilwane in Zimbabwe in 1960
12/20: Visiting Rome in 1961 on the way back from Mombasa.
An image of Paul Augustinus standing on the road outside the Colosseum in Rome
13/20: My mother, Acropolis, on the way to Ireland: 1961
An image of Rosemary Augustinus posing in front of ruins on the Acroplis
14/20: Me at the Acropolis on the way back to Ireland.
An image of Paul Augustinus posing in front of the Acropolis in 1962
15/20: In the restaurant of a Beirut hotel.
An image of Rosemary and Paul Augustinus in the restaurant of a Beruit hotel.
16/20: At the Balbeck Ruins in Syria, on the way back to Ireland.
An image of Paul Augustinus posing in front of the tall columns of Balbeck ruins in Syria.
17/20: The pyramids were everything I imagined they would be.
An image of Paul Augustinus posed on a camel in front of the Sphinx at the Pyramids in Cairo
18/20: With cousins Jean and Mary, Ballincolig, 1961.
An image of Paul Augustinus and his cousins Mary and Jean who are dressed in their white confirmation dresses. Ballincollig, Ireland
19/20: At Cape Clear but secretly longing for Mombasa.
An image of Paul Augustinus playing with a dog and the rugged Cape Clear west coast Irish scenery in the background
20/20: A very prophetic photograph. Kinsale 1961.
An image of Paul Augustinus at the yacht marina in Kinsale harbour in 1961
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image
A thumbnail image